Meghan Markle sues paper as Harry invokes media hounding of Princess Diana

0
31

Updated

October 02, 2019 09:00:55

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex has launched legal proceedings against the Mail on Sunday newspaper over what her husband, Prince Harry, referred to as a «ruthless campaign» against his wife.

Key points:

  • Schillings law firm said the lawsuit was over the publication of a private letter
  • The case is being paid for privately by Prince Harry and Meghan
  • Princess Diana died in a car crash in Paris in 1997 after being followed through the streets by photographers

In an emotional statement, Prince Harry likened the treatment of his wife to that meted out to his mother, Princess Diana, saying Meghan had «become one of the latest victims of a British tabloid press that wages campaigns against individuals with no thought to the consequences».

«I’ve seen what happens when someone I love is commoditised to the point that they are no longer treated or seen as a real person,» he wrote.

«I lost my mother and now I watch my wife falling victim to the same powerful forces.»

Schillings law firm said the lawsuit was over the publication of a private letter in a «campaign by this media group to publish false and deliberately derogatory stories» about the couple.

«We have issued proceedings to redress this breach of privacy, infringement of copyright and the aforementioned media agenda,» the law firm said.

Schillings said the Royal couple was paying for the legal action.

A spokesman for the Mail on Sunday was not immediately available for comment.

‘My deepest fear is history repeating itself’

In the opening of his statement, Harry spoke on behalf of himself and his wife, saying they regarded media freedom as «a cornerstone of democracy».

«As a couple, we believe in media freedom and objective, truthful reporting.»

But he went on to say the contents of a private letter had been published in an «intentionally destructive» and «manipulative» manner and strategically omitted specific words and sentences.

He said «knowingly false and malicious» propaganda had escalated over the past year, throughout Meghan’s pregnancy and while she raised the couple’s newborn son, Archie.

«I cannot begin to describe how painful it has been,» Harry said, adding: «My deepest fear is history repeating itself.»

Prince Harry was 12 years old when his mother died in a car crash in Paris in 1997 after being followed through the streets by photographers.

Princess Diana became one of the most photographed women on Earth after she married Harry’s father, Prince Charles.

ABC/Reuters

Topics:

law-crime-and-justice,

royal-and-imperial-matters,

media,

print-media,

united-kingdom

First posted

October 02, 2019 07:53:27

Dejar respuesta