White Ribbon Australia closed its doors today after the company announced it was in liquidation.
- White Ribbon Australia said it was proud to serve alongside «so many dedicated partner organisations, grassroots communities and government»
- The organisation encouraged Australians to still participate in White Ribbon Day on November 22 «alongside the international movement»
- In a statement, they said «eliminating men’s violence against women must remain a priority»
In a statement, the organisation said the decision «became necessary» after an analysis of its future sustainability.
«It is with profound sadness that the board of White Ribbon Australia informs the community and supporters that it has taken the very difficult decision to close its doors,» the statement said.
«White Ribbon Australia has been proud to serve alongside so many dedicated partner organisations, grassroots communities and government in the important work of ending men’s violence against women.»
The White Ribbon movement is the world’s largest movement that aims to engage men and boys in working to end male violence against women and girls.
White Ribbon Australia’s primary prevention approach was in schools, workplaces and communities across the country.
Its statement also acknowledged various communities around Australia who have been part of the White Ribbon movement.
«From the dedicated staff, ambassadors, advocates, and committees, to schools and teachers, sports clubs, workplaces and individual members of the community.»
Despite its collapse, White Ribbon encouraged those already planning for its awareness day on November 22, to continue with those plans alongside the international movement.
«Even though White Ribbon Australia’s journey ends here, we know that the work of our partners and communities will continue,» the statement said.
«Eliminating men’s violence against women must remain a priority.»
The shut down comes after a turbulent period, which saw the departure of four of White Ribbon Australia’s directors, including former director of public prosecutions Nicholas Cowdrey and chief executive Tracy McLeod Howe.
Mr Cowdery resigned as the chair of the White Ribbon board last year after ABC documentary Exposed aired comments he made about convicted baby killer Keli Lane’s sex life.
He told the program he believed Lane was not a threat to the general community because there was no risk she would harm other children.
Mr Cowdery said, «She seemed to be a bit of a risk to the virile young male portion of the community», and continued, «That’s not grounds for putting her in prison, of course».